• 2 tsp olive oil
• ½ medium onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 carrot, washed and chopped
• 1 stalk of celery, chopped
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 2 medium green zucchini, chopped
• 10 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
• 1 sprig thyme or rosemary
• 1 whole Habanero or red chili pepper
• 6 cups greens (kale, collard greens, Swiss chard)
• 2 cups baby spinach
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in paprika and cumin ensuring vegetables are well coated. Continue to cook the vegetables for another 3 – 4 minutes.
Add sweet potato and zucchini and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add vegetable stock, herb sprig and Habanero or chili pepper and stir. Allow pepper to float in stock. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add greens mixture to pot and stir in to completely cover with stock. Increase heat and bring to boil again. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer again 6 – 8 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Remove pepper and any stems from the herb sprig. Add spinach and stir until fully incorporated with stock. Use a hand blender to puree the soup right in the stock pot. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir.