• 8 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 lbs)
• 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1/4 tsp dry mustard
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or coconut milk
• 1 cup no sodium vegetable stock
• 1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 tbsp sliced pimentos, drained
• 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
• 16 garlic Melba toast crackers
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Steam broccoli for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place flour, salt, and dry mustard into a large saucepan over medium heat; gradually add the milk and vegetable stock and whisk to blend well. Cook for 8 minutes or until mixture is thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and 6 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, whisking until melted. Stir in pimientos and pepper. Add broccoli and coat thoroughly.
Spoon the broccoli mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray. Put garlic Melba toast crackers into a food processor and process until crackers become coarse crumbs. Mix Melba toast crumbs with remaining Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle evenly over the broccoli mixture. Spray top of mixture lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup organic oat flour
- 1/2 cup cooked organic pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup organic soy milk
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp organic baking powder
- 1/2 tsp organic baking soda
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp organic nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp organic allspice
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar; set aside and let sit for about 5 minutes. Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine pumpkin, spices, water and soy milk mixture and add gradually to dry ingredients. Mix well then let sit for about 5 minutes to activate baking powder.
Pour mixture into non-stick skillet or griddle. Flip once then serve.