• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
• ½ cup grated carrots
• ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
• 1 cup baby spinach, finely sliced
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water
• ½ cup whole wheat spelt flour mixture
• 3 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ Celtic sea salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook quinoa in 2 cups water, bring to boil and let simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until all water is absorbed.
Heat oil in skillet. Sauté onions, carrots, pepper and garlic for 8 – 10 minutes. Add spinach when 3 minutes remain. Place sautéed vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.
Add cooked quinoa and all remaining ingredients to vegetables and mix well.
Form mixture into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the balls into patties before baking.
Bake for 15 – 18 minutes on each side.
- 1/4 cup dried organic black beans
- 1/4 cup dried organic kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried organic great northern beans
- 1/4 cup dried organic pinto beans
- 1/4 cup dried organic navy beans
- 1/4 cup organic lentils
- 1/4 cup organic split peas
- 1/4 cup organic barley
- 2 organic yellow onions, chopped
- 6 stalks organic celery hearts, chopped
- 4 large organic carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 10 cups organic no salt vegetable stock
- 28 oz can organic no salt crushed tomatoes
- 1 organic bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp organic crushed thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp organic ground black pepper
- 1 organic red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves roasted organic garlic
Soak beans, lentils, peas, and barley in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover and let ingredients sit for one hour. Drain, rinse and drain again. Set to the side. In a large pan, sauté onions, celery, and carrots. Add sautéed vegetables, vegetable broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and black pepper to the bean mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat. Stir occasionally and cook for approximately 2 hours until beans and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. Add chopped bell pepper and roasted garlic. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve as a main dish or pair with a salad.