• 8 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 lbs)
• 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1/4 tsp dry mustard
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or coconut milk
• 1 cup no sodium vegetable stock
• 1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 tbsp sliced pimentos, drained
• 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
• 16 garlic Melba toast crackers
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Steam broccoli for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place flour, salt, and dry mustard into a large saucepan over medium heat; gradually add the milk and vegetable stock and whisk to blend well. Cook for 8 minutes or until mixture is thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and 6 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, whisking until melted. Stir in pimientos and pepper. Add broccoli and coat thoroughly.
Spoon the broccoli mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray. Put garlic Melba toast crackers into a food processor and process until crackers become coarse crumbs. Mix Melba toast crumbs with remaining Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle evenly over the broccoli mixture. Spray top of mixture lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
• 2 large stalks of celery, sliced
• 2 bunches of broccoli florets coarsely chopped
• 2 medium onions
• 5 small carrots, scrubbed and sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 cups vegetable stock
• 2 cups baby spinach
• Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Add celery, broccoli, onion, carrots, garlic and vegetable to a large saucepan stock to a large saucepan and cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender about 20 minutes. Add spinach when vegetables are done; remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Let soup cool another five minutes and then blend using hand blender right in saucepan until smooth.